Friday, February 06, 2009

STUFFED PASTRY


I have been wanting to make these tatsy empanadas for awhile now, but there was one thing holding me back. The frozen Goya dough that I have always used was impossible to find here on Maui. Finally it occurred to me... MAKE IT YOURSELF! So that I did. This is the recipe for the EMAPANADA DOUGH.

For the filling I used my own made up recipe:
This made 20 4" empanadas or 40 half circle empanadas.
There was a lot of filling left over which I froze for a later date.
If you want 40 4" with tops and bottoms as I made, then double the dough recipe and keep filling as is.

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion finely chopped
3 cloves finely minced garlic
1 small green pepper finely chopped
1 carrot diced into small pieces
1/2 cup chopped green olives
1 medium potato diced in small cubes. I used a purple sweet potato.
1 package ground turkey
2 tablespoons cumin
1 tablespoon chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 can corn
1 can black beans (optional... I served mine on the side)
1 can tomato sauce
1/2 can tomato paste
1/2 bunch chopped parsley or cilantro

1 cup shredded cheese of your choice.

For glaze:
1 egg white
1 tablespoon milk

Make your dough as described in the recipe.
I rolled it out and cut it into 4" circles with a round cookie cutter.

While dough is chilling, Heat the oil. Saute the turkey, onion and garlic until translucent.
add all other ingredients and heat until veggies are tender. This should be rather thick and not soupy.

Normally empanadas are folded over and made into half circles, but I made mine a bit different.
I placed one round of dough on a cookie sheet, topped it with 1 heaping tablespoon filling in center of dough and 1 teaspoon or so of shredded cheese. Brush edges with egg/milk mixture.
Next place another piece of dough on top and seal edges with a fork. Pierce a few holes in top with a skewer or toothpick so that steam escapes.
Brush entire surface with glaze mixture. Bake 350 for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown on the edges. I baked 14 only half way and froze them for future meals.
Top with sour cream, chili powder and chopped parsley. Salsa is also good, but I don't really think it needs it.
ENJOY!

7 comments:

baffle said...

OMG - mouth is watering... All the wonderful food you make - I can't stands it! I want to sit down right there at your dining room table and partake! This is pure torture!!

(lovely photo documentation to accompany recipe/ narrative, btw)

Conn said...

Aloha B,
You're sweet. Glad you like the pics. It makes the process a bit longer to stop and photograph it all, but it's worth it. We wish you were here to partake as well.

James said...

Goya makes puff pastry? Where did you find it in the city? I use the pepperidge farm brand, but would definitely like to see how Goya compares. While I LOVE to cook, I really despise making pastry for some reason.

Conn said...

Hi James...
It's not PUFF pastry that I used. It was Goya empanada pastry. Usually found them at Associated. Comes either orange or white colored.

The dough is easy to make, but it is the rolling of this many small ones that bites it!

Also... since I last posted about using the Bolthouse Soy Chai in cooking and bakin... I have stopped using it, as I found the owner of the land all the products are made and grown on gave $100K to vote YES on PROP 8. I am looking for a substitute. Any ideas?

James said...

Conn....thank you SO much for telling me about Bolthouse! I'll never buy their products again. My sweetheart will be very sad b/c he goes through a large bottle of their veggie juice every few days. It's way better than V8.

We actually organize a large event every year that we've had at a marriott hotel for the past 7 years. But, knowing their involvement in prop 8, we pulled it this year and wrote a very detailed letter explaining why.

I honestly haven't been drinking the bolthouse chai much this winter since it has been so cold here. Instead i've gotten a chai latte from starbucks almost daily. They're SO good!!! Can't think of anything off the top of my head to replace it with for baking. The chai concentrate from Oregon Chai has good flavor, but it's such a different consistency.

James said...

btw...great video you and your bloggers might enjoy.
turn your speakers on first.
http://vimeo.com/3089746

Prêt à Voyager said...

oh man, i could so go for one of those right NOW! :)

anne