Tuesday, August 31, 2010

A BIRD IN THE HAND

Yesterday while on the phone in the office, this little Japanese White Eye or Mijero (メジロ, 目白) hit the window and landed flat on it's back on the roof.  This happens from time to time if we forget to close a blind or curtain because they see the other window on the other side and think they can fly through the "opening".

I left it there a few minutes to see if it would regain consciousness. It just laid there twitching so I gave in and picked it up. It took about 40 minutes for it to start to flutter around... landing in the grass, on the chair cushion then the potted orchid and within an hour it managed to fly off. I love when I get the chance to interact with nature, but not under these circumstances.


A bit dazed.

10 minutes later it started to come around and finally lift it's head. It was so tiny it was like holding air.

About 5 minutes later it started to flutter and move around.

Right before it took off and fluttered to the ground.

Although it was perfectly camouflaged I could not just leave it in the middle of the yard so I walked it closer to the house where I could keep an eye on it.  

As I walked onto the lanai it flew off and landed on the cushion...

... finally settling in this orchid pot before taking off about an hour after I discovered it.

5 comments:

Tara said...

I am so glad you helped save it, what an adorable bird!

jon said...

such a beautiful bird!

Conn said...

i was amazed it pulled through...
they really are beautiful birds. they love bananas. LOVE.
we peel them for them. I spoil the birds beyond belief.

Anonymous said...

I've heard carefully placed window decals save the lives of many birds. Considering the plight of our vanishing native birds, its a small compromise in aesthetics. A hui ho!

Conn said...

tried decals and shiny objects...
closed curtains and blinds are the best bet here.
we are usually very good about that...