Friday, September 19, 2008

FROZE FRUIT

Recently our friend Leigh over at hapa|hale sweetly inquired as to what was cooking in the c4c kitchen. We had actually been trying to avoid cooking all together because the weather had turned stagnant and HOT. But our sweet tooth's beckoned, heatwave be damned. With a bunch of bananas on their way out, I perused my bookmarks of banana-themed desserts and came across this recipe for a Banana-Peanut Semifreddo. It was pretty simple-a few eggs and some heavy cream. The tricky part was setting the egg custard. I didn't want to have to hold the bowl over a saucepan so I improvised using a metal steamer basket in a pot of shallow water. Then I just held a stainless steal bowl containing the eggs and sugar on the steamer and whisked away until the eggs set. Mmmmm, custardy. I didn't have peanuts so I left them out. Though, I did try a slice with a teaspoon of natural peanut butter on the side and it was ono.


Setting the egg custard. I had the heat too low so it took longer than it should have. The instant read thermometer was essential to make sure the eggs reached the right temperature.

Fresh out of the freezer. Luckily I made it in the afternoon so it was good and frozen by dessert time!

If you are going to serve it to guests, throw the serving dish in the freezer to chill it down before flipping it out of the laof pan. That way you can avoid the immediate puddling as seen here.

1 comment:

baffle said...

All this cooking and eating of yummy homemade goodies!!!

Why you boys not so fatty, den?