Wednesday, July 23, 2008

THE SWEET SMELL OF...


One of the last days my mom and grandma were here, we drove up to Polipoli Spring State Recreation Area but did not make it far on the muddy road. Besides, mom and grandma were getting nervous. It was our first trip up there since the Fire back in January 2007. It was a sad sight to see all those majestic trees charred. On the bright side, most of the trees destroyed were not native and efforts are now underway to restore native trees to the area.

On our way back down the mountain we made a pit stop at Ali'i Kula Lavender Maui. We were glad we finally stopped to visit this beautiful and inspiring spot. Besides fields and fields of lavender, you will find some of the most beautiful floral gardens and views on Maui. We could have stayed forever. The owner, Ali'i Chang was there giving tours of the grounds and seemed to be having the time of his life. What a job. There is also a cute little gift shop with lavender this and lavender that. Lemonade, body butter, jams, seasonings, soaps, cookies, fragrance and bouquets all containing lavender. I became week-kneed for the dark chocolate lavender bar! YUM! Mom left with a bag full of goodies including shampoo for her dogs.

If you get the chance to visit Maui, make sure to stop by. Here are a few pics from the grounds.










3 comments:

Deb said...

Aloha ahiahi!

We LOVE it up in Polipoli. I have yet to visit the lavender farm, however if we're home during a craft show and they happen to be selling, I'll always grab a lavender scone - SO yummy with a drizzle of honey.

Thank you for your kind comments. It's nice to hear someone interested in what it was like in the old days. I think you are going to do well in Hawaii:-) Every now and then I'll google Puunene camp homes just to see if anyone else has written anything. Last year there was a reunion, but I found out too late, I would have loved to be there. I need to sit my aunties and uncles down, camcorder in hand, and ask all the questions I would love answered, before they too are gone. . .

Aloha,
Deb

Lauren said...

What beautiful photos! I'm definitely adding that place to my list of sights to see on our next visit!

Anonymous said...

omfg - these are beautiful photos. please post more!!
xo
Kristin