Friday, June 13, 2008

TASTE SENSATIONS

Over that past few weeks we have had an abundance of fruits and veggies... oh wait... that's nothing new. Except this time we had mangos that I made my first mango jam with. that would be the yellowy-orange jar in the front. And no, I did not add any color to it... That's all real!

With the tomatoes I made salsa (dark jar), and with the Hawai'ian hot chili peppers I just this morning made some hot chili water. The water is sort of like a tabasco sauce, but WAY hot. It's going to be great on rice and noodle dishes.

Here is my own recipe for Chili Water

2 cups water
1/4 cup whole Hawai'ian chilis
1 tablespoon coarse salt
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon raw sugar
2 gloves garlic
2 thick slices of fresh ginger

Bring all to a boil in a covered saucepan then reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes.
Transfer to a food mill and press through. Repeat 2-3 times, making sure to scrape the pulp from the bottom of the mill.

Store in clean jars and refrigerate. Should last a few months.


The Hawai'ian chili pepper

4 comments:

James said...

Just came across your blog after it was sent to me by a good friend who's an event planner in honolulu. I have spent the last hour and a half reading it from 'cover to cover'. My partner and I live in new york and have fantasized for so long about doing what you guys have done. Congrats! And thank you for providing me a channel for living vicariously through you!
Best,
James

Conn said...

Aloha James...
Thanks for the comment and glad you enjoyed your adventure here at CFC. Nice to know we could brighten your day with a little Aloha. Hope to see you back soon.
Conn

Anonymous said...

Those both sound really tasty! We grow habaneros in our yard, so you can probably guess that we like it hot. :) Never had a Hawaiian chili pepper though... wonder if we can get them here.

Conn said...

I have heard that the Hawai'ian hot peppers are quite expensive... so not sure if you would find them on the mainland. The birds usually get to most of them before we do... but since a little goes a long way... they are welcome to all they hot stuff their little mouths can handle. Good luck on your quest for the HHP's and let us know if you do find the,
Aloha,
Conn