Friday, July 06, 2007

JUNE ART TRADING CARDS


For the Spiral-themed June ATC's my inspiration was the song The Windmills of Your Mind. In 1968, Dusty Springfield made a spectacular recording of it for the Thomas Crown Affair. Here are the lyrics for the last verse of the song:
Like a circle in a spiral
Like a wheel within a wheel
Never ending or beginning
On an ever-spinning reel
As the images unwind
Like the circles that you find
In the windmills of your mind
You can't tell from this image but I painted them all by hand with gouache and acrylic and ran a Spirograph over it. I penciled an outline of the head first with a template. I'd actually never used gouache before and found that I like the flatness of it. I originally wanted a windmill in the head but then I realized that would be too literal and spirograph ended up being a perfect illustration of the lyric, "Never ending or beginning."

No comments: